Tuesday, March 4, 2008

THE LEAD PALM HOOK

My 10th grade public speaking teacher (name forgotten) told me a successful essay/speech always begins with a quote. I thought this one was appropriate:

"Empty your mind. Be formless shapeless like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can either flow, or it can crash! Be like water, my friend."—Bruce Lee


I've been taking Jeet Kune Do (JEET KOON DOE) for the past several months, with hopes that it would keep that winter weight off and get me ready for the P.A. JKD, for short, was developed by Bruce Lee and is a mixed martial arts fighting method. The literal translation is "Way of the Intercepting Fist"

When I first thought of taking the class I pictured it like a Seinfeld episode turned reality, where I would be fighting a group of 12 year old kids for the top spot in the class. Judging by the students that showed up on my first day I thought I wasn't too far off but I would later find out that JKD is for old people too. (The average age maybe being 3 years younger than myself)



So like water, I became formless and/or shapeless. We have been learning many different kicks, punches and a few special blocks to stop those "hate makers from left field." But last night was the coup de grace. We learned the lead palm hook, that if done correctly will shatter your opponent's ear drum. Apparently, if you cup your hand and smack your opponent in the ear, the pressure from the air in your palm will cause the ear drum to burst. Doug, acting Sifu (teacher) for the night, told us that this has happened in sparring and one should wear appropriate ear protection during class fights. I do not have to worry about sparring until level two but I have made a mental note to get said ear protection.

A simple equation for a successful Lead Palm Hook:
a strong powerline + (cupped hand x amt. of air in cupped hand) + opponent's ear = shattered ear drum

Visit my JKD class

No comments: