Friday, March 7, 2008

THE ADAMS FAMILY

No, I'm not talking about Fester, Gomez, Wednesday and the rest. I'm talking about John and his son Johnny Q. That's right the original OGs, the 2nd and 6th president of the United States. Sorry to disappoint. If you haven't already seen it, HBO is doing a huge promotion for their John Adams miniseries. Everywhere I look I'm seeing Paul Giamatti's plumped-up face. Now I'm not sure if it is the Secret at work, but prior to the series announcement, I was reading all I could about the history of the US presidents. Boring right? Nevertheless, I wished there was a movie that could summarize some of the presidents and lo and behold up pops this miniseries. So thank you Rhonda Byrne.

So with the approaching miniseries in mind, I just wanted to point out that it seems history does repeat itself, in some ways. John Adams and John Quincy Adams were actually the first father and son to both be president, not George and George Dubya. Although there is a great deal of contrast between the Bush legacy and the Adams legacy, I just wanted to point out a scary similarity that I have found in my journey of knowledge.

We all know the Florida conspiracy theories, the cursed chads, and Al Gore winning the popular vote and losing the presidency but rewind that close to 200 yrs and you get the election of 1824. John Quincy Adams was actually also the first person to win the presidency after losing the popular vote, this time to Andrew Jackson. Since no candidate had a majority of electoral votes, the election was decided by the House of Representatives. Henry Clay who had the deciding vote, voted in favor of Adams. Adams in turn scratched Clays back by giving him the position of Secretary of State. It is believed that this "corrupt bargain" was decided upon prior to the election. Needless to say, John Q's presidency was plagued by this and he would become one of those lame duck presidents that just couldn't get anything done in office.

In retrospect though, I'm thinking Katherine Harris' back was a lot nicer to scratch.



For all of you true ADDAMS family fans. I don't want you to leave here disappointed, so without further interruption I bring you MC Hammer performing Addams Family Values:

1 comment:

sue said...

Eagle - Although the Adams family were not popular presidents, the contribution they made in general to their country was invaluable. Did you know that John Q served 16 yrs in the House after he was president - until he died there. And did you know that Abigail Adams was an intelligent and courageous woman who (some say ) could be the first woman president if she lived today. And the Bushes?
I can't wait for the HBO series.